Categories

Sunday, October 09, 2011

International marriage, untaxed income, income in two states

AskTaxGuru.com Junior Member, mwolfe, asked:
Hello,

I am filing myself instead of using turbotax for the first time in 6 years because I'm unemployed and can't afford the fee for tax preparation. I'm not sure how complicated my situation is, however, so I wanted some help and advice before continuing.

I made income in two different states (Oregon, which takes out state taxes but doesn't file federal, it seems, and Michigan, which does the opposite). The bulk of my income was made in Michigan, and half of it was untaxed because I was considered a political consultant/non employee. When I moved to Oregon, I did not establish residence and my legal address is still in Michigan.

I was also married (which is the reason I am not establishing legal residence in Oregon) and am in the process of obtaining permanent residency in Canada (outland application process, so I am still living in the states). My wife is Canadian and has supported me during my spotty employment in Oregon, though her employment doesn't really "count" for my US taxes. She lives in Canada and her income is Canadian. Should I still apply as married, but filing separately? For these purposes, I assume I count as "single" because she is not my dependent, but we were legally married in September and I'd like to claim it as such (if I file my taxes as single, it could jeopardize the genuineness of my application of permanent residence should the Canadian government look into my tax history).

I did not utilize any governmental living assistance programs, I am no longer a student (as of December 2009), and I am not on unemployment. I do not own a home or property. As far as I'm aware, I don't have any deductions.

All in all, I made a meagre amount of money in 2010, I'll probably have to pay in, but I'm still unemployed. I just don't want to be audited.

Thanks for your help,

Miranda

Click here to know what our tax gurus said or tell us what you think in the comments section below.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...