Categories

Monday, January 20, 2014

Louisiana State Tax - Ask TaxGuru

I live in Florida, work in Texas and the company I work for is based in Louisiana. My employer withheld $2400 in Louisiana state tax. H & R Block just did my taxes and I only got a $400 refund on the state taxes. Why did I have to pay $2000 in LA state taxes when I live and work in states that do not have a state tax? If this is a mistake how do I fix it? Thank you!
 
 
Answer : 
 
#1;Your ER made a mistake as you do not physically work in LA but you physically work in TX, you do not need to pay state tax to LA regardless of your ER’s location(LA in this case; however, you didn’t work in LA but you work in TX). You will not owe anything to LA as mentioned above. As you can see, there is no state tax in TX/FL.

#2;Since your employer had LA tax withheld, talk to someone in payroll immediately. In fact, print this answer and take it with you. They should refund any LA tax to you and do not need to start withholding TX/FL tax as there is no state tax in FL/TX. If they can't or won't refund the LA tax you had withheld, you will need to file a non-resident LA tax return for 2013 showing no income Read More...

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...