Categories

Monday, September 16, 2013

Loans from shareholder? Help!

Where do I put the amount loaned this year, from me to the S Corp? I don't see that anywhere.

I see "repayment of loans from shareholder" but that's all.

I am using TurboTax Business but if I have to edit forms manually, I can.

Answer:
You will only need to report the personal loan you made to the S Corp if you are required to complete a sch L / Sch M1/ Sch M2; those schedules are not required when those items are under $250K.The money that you loaned to the S Corp is a liability of the S corp. It's money the S corp now owes you. It is neither income nor a deduction. If the business used the money for a deduction, then that expense can be reported.

NOTE: For the contributions, it depends if you contributed it as equity or as debt. If equity, it can go on capital stock or addtl paid in capital. If it is debt then you should report it as a loan from shareholder. Distributions (not loan repayments) need to go on schedule K, Schedule K-1, and M-2

Source:


No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...