Categories

Wednesday, July 03, 2013

Can I claim my daughter as a dependent on my taxes?

Q. My daughter died of SIDS and only lived two months. Can I claim her on taxes?

A. First of all sorry for you loss that must have been really hard for you... Yes, a child who dies during the year will qualify as your dependent provided all other requirements are met. So, you can claim her for the year. The six month rule is only for a child who lived longer than that in the year, A child who was born or died during the year is treated as having lived with you all year if your home was the child's home the entire time she was alive during the year. The same is true if the child lived with you all year except for any required hospital stay following birth.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...