Categories

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Capital gains tax break on the sale of my home

Question posted by AskTxGuru.com Junior Member hackstat:

If I become a RESIDENT of Florida and than sell my home in New York where I lived for more than 20 years in a couple of years, will I still be entitled to the $250,000 capital gains tax break on the sale of my New York home. Or do I have to sell the New York home before coming a resident of Florida


Thank you

Answered by Moderator Wnhough:

If I become a RESIDENT of Florida and than sell my home in New York where I lived for more than 20 years in a couple of years, will I still be entitled to the $250,000 capital gains tax break on the sale of my New York home.”-->Yes; when you, as a single home owner, sell your primary residence, you can make up to $250,000 in profit as long as you have owned and occupied your primary dwelling at least 24 of the last 60 months before its sale.


“Or do I have to sell the New York home before coming a resident of Florida”---> As long as you meet the condition, as said above, to claim your $250,000 CG tax break UNDER federal tax law, NOT under the state tax law. You can sell your primary home whenever you want.

Got something to say? Click here to participate in the forum or post your comments below.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...