Categories

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Alimony and living in same house

My wife and I are legally separated officially on 1/1/14. She has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and I'd like to not move out for a few months to help her.

1 : However, I am paying her a huge amount of alimony, but I think I read where I can't deduct alimony from my taxes if I live in the same house.

Is there a way around this?
 
2 : Also, how can the IRS know where i live if we file separately for 2014?

3 : I assume I (effectively) have to pay her taxes (or I guess get taxed double) if there is no way around this correct?

Answer :

1 : basically, correct; you and your former spouse may not live in the same household (there are certain exceptions). You may contact an attorney for sure; After you are divorced or legally separated (meaning after you are considered divorced for tax purposes), you and your ex-spouse cannot live in the same household or file a joint Form 1040.

2 : Even if you file your returns separately, you need to provide the same address wth the IRS unless YOU REPORT NEW ADDRESS ON YOUR SEPARATE RETURN.

3 : Your former spouse should report any taxable alimony received on Line 11 of IRS tax Form 1040 while you need to report alimony paid on line 31a.

Visit Asktaxguru for Online tax help

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...