Categories

Monday, December 19, 2011

Alimony

AskTaxGuru.com Junior Member, lhall700, asked:
My question is about Alimony, I am court ordered to pay my ex-wife $925.00 a month in Alimony. It is split up like this; I send her a check for $500.00 and sent a check of $425.00 to the federal bankruptcy courts. Even though we were both responsible for the bankruptcy the judge order me to pay the bankruptcy as part of my alimony. So do I file my alimony as $925.00 per month on my federal return or do I just claim the $500.00 a month that she receives.

No one here seems to be able to answer my question so I am going to post what two different tax agencys told me.

Dear TaxACT(R) Customer:
If your divorce decree recognizes the bankruptcy payment as alimony, then you should include the whole amount paid for alimony on your tax return.

Taxaid answer:
If your divorce decree, and the court, designates that you pay alimony to your ex of $925, then that is what you can deduct. Apparently because of the bankruptcy proceedings the court ordered that you pay $425 of your wife's alimony directly to the court to assure payments on HER share of the bankruptcy.

To continue reading, click here.

No comments:

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...